There used to be a Visigothic basilica here but this was later destroyed and replaced by a Muslim cemetery. After the Christian Conquest, churches and noble homes were built around it, including the Royal Hospital. When Napoleon's forces invaded Granada at the beginning of the 19th century, it was used as a site for executions.
Mariana Pineda, the heroine freedom fighter, was executed here in 1831. After lying abandoned for many years, it was only in 1950 that gardens were built and the Monument to the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin of Triunfo which used to stand at the Puerta de Elvira was moved here.