Iglesia de El Salvador
The El Salvador Church was built on the site of the main Albaicín mosque in the 16th century.
Placeta de Abad 2
+34 958 278 644
10:00 - 13.00, 16:30 - 18:30
The Iglesia El Salvador was built on the site of the main Albaicín mosque. The mosque dated back to the 13th century and was considered to be one of the most beautiful in the world. After the Catholic Monarchs conquered Granada, building work started to convert the mosque into a church and the name was changed to the Iglesia de Nuestro Salvador (Church of Our Saviour) and in 1527 it was established as a Collegiate Church. One of the most interesting features of the church is its Mudedjar ceiling. Another is the courtyard which formed part of the original mosque with its water cistern or "aljibe" for ablutions and this is the only remaining example of a Mosque courtyard in Granada. In 1771, the Collegiate moved to another church in the centre of Granada and it became a Parish Church. In 1936 the Church was destroyed by a fire.