This Neo-Mudéjar bullring was built in 1928.
This was the third bullring to be built in the city and the first bullfight was held here on 30th September 1928. Bull fights tend to be held during the Corpus Christi celebrations. It is one of the ten largest bull rings in Spain with a surface area of 9000m2 and seating for 12,000 people. It is now possible to visit the bull ring and see the pens, the infirmary and the chapel. There are also a number of bars and restaurants around the outside of the bullring where you can have a meal or tapas.
Carmen de los Mártires is a 19th century house and ornamental grounds near the Alhambra.
Carmen de los Mártires is a 19th century house and ornamental grounds just to the right of the Alhambra palace. There are some interesting views of the Alhambra from the other side and great views of the city of Granada and the Sierra Nevada. The gardens contain a number of statues, grottoes, and an ornamental duck pond with its bridge and tower-like ruins.
This religious complex consists of the Abbey, the Seminary, the New College and the Holy Caves.
After various religious relics were found on this site in 1594, on June 6th 1598, a house was built to keep them, and in 1600 work began on the collegiate church. A foundation was established for the abbey with an abbot and 20 canons. It is also possible to visit the catacombs below the church.
The El Salvador Church was built on the site of the main Albaicín mosque in the 16th century.
The Iglesia El Salvador was built on the site of the main Albaicín mosque. The mosque dated back to the 13th century and was considered to be one of the most beautiful in the world. After the Catholic Monarchs conquered Granada, building work started to convert the mosque into a church and the name was changed to the Iglesia de Nuestro Salvador (Church of Our Saviour) and in 1527 it was established as a Collegiate Church. One of the most interesting features of the church is its Mudedjar ceiling. Another is the courtyard which formed part of the original mosque with its water cistern or "aljibe" for ablutions and this is the only remaining example of a Mosque courtyard in Granada. In 1771, the Collegiate moved to another church in the centre of Granada and it became a Parish Church. In 1936 the Church was destroyed by a fire.
If you are coming to Granada with children, the Science Museum is well worth a visit. It is an interactive, hands-on museum and there are various permanent and temporary exhibitions with fun activities for all ages.
Among the permanent exhibitions at the Science Museum are the planetarium, a tropical butterfly house, botanical routes, a 50-metre high observation tower, topological puzzles, the Darwin and Natural Selecion Pavillion, the Eureka room with interactive elements and experiments, and puzzles for younger children. The Biodomo explores biodiversity on our planet and recreates a tropical belt climate with more than 250 animal and plant species. There is also a bird-of-prey workshop with a talk on their biology and ecology and a flight display.
The Casa Museo Garcia Lorca is a museum with exhibits relating to the life and work of the poet Federico Garcia Lorca.
The Huerta de San Vicente belonged to the family of Federico García Lorca, the poet and playwright from Granada. Between 1926 and 1936, they would spend their summers here and during this time, Lorca wrote some of his major works (Bodas de Sangre, Yerma, etc.). Federico García Lorca was in fact staying here when he was arrested and shot in August 1936 at the start of the Spanish Civil War. The museum contains original paintings and works of art by various artists (Dalí, Lorca, Alberti, etc.) and also family documents, objects and furniture such as Lorca's desk, his gramophone and piano.
The Museo Zambra de María la Canastera is a cave museum with daily flamenco shows.
The cave museum Museo Zambra de María la Canastera has a display of photos which document the life of María la Canastera, one of the most important flamenco dancers from Granada and the Sacromonte. Members of her family are still involved in the museo zambra and some still perform in the flamenco shows today.
The Casa de los Pisa houses the San Juan de Dios museum.
The Casa de los Pisa was built by the Pisa family after the reconquest of Granada in 1492. San Juan de Dios dedicated his life to caring for the poor and sick and was responsible for establishing the San Juan de Dios hospital in the Calle San Juan de Dios. The Pisa family took in San Juan de Dios when he was suffering from pneumonia and he died here on 8th March 1550. The house is now home to the San Juan de Dios museum with an exhibition of art and objects relating to his life and work.
The Casa-Museo Manuel de Falla is an exhibition of the life and work of the composer Manuel de Falla.
This was the house where the composer Manuel de Falla lived and wrote some of his major compositions. Following the execution of his friend Federico García Lorca, Manuel de Falla left Spain, leaving behind his personal belongings and these can be seen in the house (e.g. his piano). Manuel de Falla never returned to Granada and died in Argentina on 14th September 1946.
The Archaeological Museum is located in the Casa de Castril and displays artifacts from different archaeological ages.
The Casa de Castril was built in 1539 by the heirs of Hernando de Zafra, the secretary to the Catholic Monarchs. It has a beautifully preserved façade and is built on two floors around a central courtyard. The seven galleries of the museum exhibit artifacts, coins, pottery and weapons from different archaeological periods.
This ornate Renaissance monastery was built in the 16th century and has a church, two cloisters and a courtyard.
This richly decorated, Renaissance monastery was built between 1506 and 1522 under the direction of Diego de Siloé. The monastery has two cloisters on either side of a courtyard with orange trees and the church has an ornate altarpiece. The general and statesman Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba (also known as the Gran Capitan) and his wife are buried here.
The Corral de Carbón is the oldest Arabic monument in Spain. It has a spectacular doorway and a simple courtyard.
The Corral de Carbon is located on Calle Reyes Católicos and is the oldest monument from Arab times in Spain. It consists of a spectacular doorway with a contrastingly simple interior courtyard. The Corral de Carbón was built in 1336 by Yussuf I. It was originally a corn exchange and store in Arab times, and merchants and carters would stay here.
The absolute centre of Granada Large square with lots of restaurants and taxi rank.
Plaza Nueva is the Centre of Granada. The C1 and C2 buses go through here and from here you go up the Cuesta Gomeres to the Alhambra. Has a taxi rank.
Large square in the centre of Granada beneath the Alhambra with lots of outside restaurants.
The principal attraction of the square is the long line of outside terrace bars. There are about 5 different restaurants to choose from.
The Carthusian Monastery is an amazing example of Baroque architecture, with its Doric arches, ornate decoration and intricate sculptures and carvings.
The Carthusian Monastery is an amazing example of Baroque architecture, with its Doric arches, ornate decoration and intricate sculptures and carvings, and it is well worth a visit. Construction began in 1516 and continued for the next three hundred years but the project was never completed.
The Bañuelo Arab baths date back to the 11th century and are considered to be among the oldest, the most complete and important baths in Spain.
These baths used to be part of the Mosque of the Walnut Tree (Mezquita del Nogal) which previously stood here. They were built in the 11th century and are considered to be among the oldest and most complete baths in Spain. Many such baths were destroyed by the Catholic monarchs who regarded them as places of ill repute or even like brothels. However, these baths escaped destructions probably because they occupy the ground floor of a private house.
The Casa de los Tiros is a 16th century building with a museum for local arts and traditions.
Like many of the palatial houses in Granada, the Casa de los Tiros was built in the 16th century between 1530 and 1540 and gets its name from the cannons that were placed between its ramparts ("tiros" means "shots" in Spanish). Its façade originally formed part of the defensive wall surrounding the area where the potters had their workshops and studios. One of the notable features of the building is the "Cuadra Dorada" with its painted wooden-beamed ceiling. The tower is the only original part of the building and the other parts of the house were subsequently built around this. It currently houses a Local Arts and Traditions Museum.
The Royal Chapel was built in the 16th century and contains the tombs of the Spanish Monarchs Isabel, Fernando, Juana and Felipe.
The Royal Chapel was built between 1505 and 1521 by Enrique Egas and was commissioned by the Catholic Monarchs for their burial site. It was the last gothic church to be built in Spain
Large square in the centre of Granada with lots of outside restaurants.
The principal attraction of the square is the long line of outside terrace bars. There are about 8 different restaurants to choose from. Just behind the line of restaurants is a children's play area
Granada Cathedral was built in the 16th century on the site of former main mosque.
The Cathedral area comprises four buildings: the Cathedral, the Royal Chapel, the Sagrario, and the Merchants' Exchange. Building work was directed by the architects Juan Gil de Hontañón and Enrique Egas and began on 15th March 1523. It took 180 years to complete.
The Alhambra museum is an archaeological and art exhibition.
The Alhambra Museum has the best collection of Nasrid art in the world. It also has a collection of non-Nasrid Islamic art which shows how this has evolved in Al-Andalus and the Arabic world. During the restoration work and archaeological excavations carried out at the Alhambra, many interesting elements and objects were found over the years and these are also on display here.
Plaza Bibrambla is a large square in the centre of Granada
Plaza Bibrambla is a large square in the centre of Granada. There are many cafe bars and often there is entertainment for children such as merry go around.
The Cuevas del Sacromonte Museum is an exhibiton of the history, life and culture of Sacromonte cave-houses.
The eleven caves in the Cuevas del Sacromonte Museum have been restored to how they were 100 years ago to give an idea of what living in caves was like. The caves display furniture, utensils and tools from the time to illustrate the traditional crafts of the time (basketry, forging, weaving, pottery, etc.). A number of additional cultural activities are also organised throughout the year such open-air cinema, flamenco festivals, etc. There is a bar serving cold drinks.
The Palacios de los Olvidados has a display of torture instruments that were used in Spain and in Europe during the Inquisition.
The Spanish inquisition was established by the Catholic Monarchs in 1478 in order to purify Spain and enforce Catholicism. Tribunals were held and non-believers and anti-establishment individuals were prosecuted. Those found guilty were tortured or executed and their possessions confiscated. It lasted for 350 years and finally ended in 1834. There are two exhibitions at the Palacio de los Olvidados: one has a display of torture instruments that were used in Spain and in Europe during the inquisition, and the other is an interactive flamenco museum.
The Alhambra is the red fortress palace-city that dominates Granada. It comprises three parts: Nazrid Palaces, Alcazaba and Generalife. It is the most visited monument in Spain.
The Alhambra is considered by some to be one of the 7 wonders of the world. In case you don't know, the Alhambra is a massive castle constructed over many centuries. It consists of gardens, fortifications and sumptuous palaces.
This art gallery shows modern and contemporary work by different artists and photographers.
The Centro José Guerrero is very near the cathedral. It a number of temporary exhibitions and also a permanent display of work by the local Granada artist José Guerrero.